Here we are, 2019. Day 1 Round 3 of Whole30 for me. I was able to eat some of my egg bake for breakfast this morning. I started with hot water and lemon to kick start my digestive system. Julean and I went out last night so I know I will need to detox the alcohol and gluten I ate yesterday. The egg bake was delicious, but I need to continue to set myself up for success for the rest of the 30 days. That’s why I’m meal prepping a simple roasted spaghetti squash. This is an easy and versatile recipe. You can eat it as is when it comes out of the oven, or pair with different types of proteins. My favorite is to make a mock spaghetti and meat sauce since that is something I typically crave on whole30.
First things first, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prep your squash. I use a fork and pierce a dotted line through the squash to help me cut it in half.
Using a large chef knife, and some muscle, slice through the squash so you have two halves.
Next, scoop out the guts and seeds of the squash using a large spoon or ice cream scoop.
Once your halves are cleaned (no worries, it doesn’t need to be perfectly cleaned out, just the major guts need to be removed), season the squash with salt and pepper. You also want to use some sort of oil or ghee to help the squash roast in the oven. If you do not have a tip like this for your olive oil, I would suggest brushing the halves with oil or melted ghee. It’s easy to over-do the oil so having a pouring tip like this or brushing it avoids putting too much oil on the squash.
Once seasoned and brushed with oil, place the squash cut side down onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in center rack of oven for 35-40 minutes.
When you take the baking sheet out of the oven, let your squash cool for about 10-20 minutes. It will be very hot to touch. If you’re short on time, just use an oven mitt to handle the squash and turn it over. After the squash roasts, it will be very easy to take a fork to the squash and pull the “meat” of the vegetable out. I went ahead and put the squash in 5 meal prep containers, as this will be an easy lunch for me as I make a meat sauce later today.
Happy 2019 and meal prepping!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a fork, piece the length of the squash. Using a chef’s knife, cut the squash in half length-wise.
- Using a spoon, remove the guts and seeds of squash.
- Brush squash with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet, and place on center rack of oven. Roast for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow squash to cool for 10-20 minutes. Using a fork, pull meat of squash out of the skin. Serve as is, with other seasonings or protein, or make a meat sauce for a whole30 spaghetti!